Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Exploit the Raw

Today's WOD:

A.
Press 5-5-5 @ 70% of 1 rep max. My one rep max is 68.
I did:
5x45
5x55
1x65
5x55

B.
Max distance handstand walk (or handstand progressions as needed)
Max time L-sit (or L-sit progressions as needed)

We actually did some open gym time. I practiced handstands, but my right shoulder started to give out and I decided not to push it. Then I did some pullup practice. Then some L-sit practice. Nothing to write home about. I kinda wish I'd done a Metcon to help me kick this cold.

***

Raw food vegans and Paleo eaters don't have much in common, right?

Not so! Raw foodies stay far away from grains and legumes since they have to be cooked. Plenty of raw recipes, except those containing sprouted grains, are Paleo friendly and a great way to add more fruits, vegetables and nuts in interesting combinations to your diet.

As a Paleo eater, raw food vegans are probably not going to be big fans of you, but that doesn't mean you can't steal some of their awesome recipes to make your dietary life a little more interesting.

Here is a recipe for Nori rolls with vegetables and Cashew butter from Choosing Raw, just to showcase one.

I've done a couple raw food "cleanses" from Organic Avenue, and they've made me feel amazing, probably because I was eating so little grain. I didn't have as much energy as I do on Paleo, but I discovered some great things like Kale, Dandelion and Hemp Cream Salad, Chia Seed Pudding, and all kinds of amazing fruit and nut smoothies.

A raw recipe I learned that I use often is often is raw cashew milk. It's great in smoothies, is the best "milk" for frittatas (even better than half and half), good in soups, and isn't even half bad in coffee.

Soak 1/2 cup raw cashews in water for 1-2 hours
Drain and blend (in your Vitamix) with 2 cups of water,
Some salt and
A drop of agave syrup or Stevia to taste

Must be used within 3 days or it will get NASTY.

Raw recipes are best in cooler months, so look forward to those when the weather warms up again. For now I will be concentrating more on big bone-in roasts and braises.

No comments:

Post a Comment